Ruins of papermill waterworks dam in Felts Mills
Old photo of the mill as it looked when running.
The island the
mill was on had an area of about 8 acres, and was once called Tannery
Island, nearby is Sheep Island. Later Tannery Island was called Mill
Island when the Taggart mill was built. At one time the Mill Island
was owned by James Le Ray, and over the years had a number of sawmills, a
shingle mill, a planing mill, a carding mill, a grain thresher, a cheese box factory,
and in 1858 a tannery which burned in 1882.
For pictures from the island
itself and the remains of the other dam see this page.